Sunday, June 20, 2010

This makes me want to become a vampire. :/

So I just got home from work.

(A girl's gotta work for her own money ok, it's a cruel world out there.)

On my way home from work today, I bumped into a neighbour of mine... Two neighbours of mine.

:/ One watched me grow up, an old lady who waited downstairs for me and her grandson to come home from school everyday when I was 10.

That was 10 years ago, and I havent seen much of her since then.

My family is pretty closed up from the outside world, meaning our neighbours. Or at least, my dad and I are pretty closed up from the outside. I see no point in talking to them, it just makes things awkward, and I hate having to make small talk with people you see for like, 2 minutes, tops, in the elevator.

But yeah, that old lady made an impression on me.

I remember once leaving my house keys on the school bus.
(Come on, I was 10, I can totally go home on my own already. But my mother insisted on me taking the school bus.)
I obviously couldn't go home because there way nobody at home. :/ And she kindly took me in for the 2 hours, and I played some random computer game, which I don't remember, with her grandson, whom I never talked to since we went to secondary school.

The thing I really hate about neighbours is that they, those of my age, are pretty much competitive. One dude kept bugging me on my exam results, PSLE, N-levels, and he gave up asking after the O-Levels. I don't really care.

As long as I get promoted and do something I kinda want, I'm happy to share.

But yes, about that old lady.

It has probably been that long since we last met, because for starters, she can't recognise me anymore. Maybe it's the blond hair, maybe my features have changed since I was 10.
(An aunt of mine is positively sure I did plastic surgery.)

I felt kinda sad when she didn't recognise me. Either that, or like me, she couldn't be bothered to make small talk with me, since after all there is another adult in the elevator.

Oh, did I mention she was in a wheelchair. The last we heard about it was that her feet has lost all its flesh, not in a gross way. Probably due to old age, elderly can't really take in solid food, and they kinda lose the weight over time. There was something wrong with her legs, and her feet ended up "slimming down" till all that's left was just skin and bones, making it hard for her to walk.

:/

Sad, but true.

It kinda scares me to know that someday, I will be like that too. D:

No comments: